I probably should read that last post I wrote before I go on ahead and write a new one, because things are moving at such an alarming rate, and I can't remember what I've said.
We drove to Missouri and bought a farm--that's the long and short of it.
We closed on our house here in Denver and then drove out east because we had not a clue what to do or where to move. Joe has been up and down. back and forth more than me because his job is going to be up in the air over this whole shebang, and that is pretty scary, I think.
Without getting into the nitty gritty, diary-worthy details, I can vouch that the enneagram is pretty spot on when it comes to numbers and the direction one moves in stress. What I mean by that is this: I turn flighty and can't settle down and need a thousand distractions (Marvel movies) and Joe goes all 6 on me, which is to say he becomes a Debbie Downer who thinks of every potential problem and cannot be assuaged.
(I can follow a wormhole till it ends, and I try not to do that with enneagram anymore. Still, it is apparent to me we have very normal tendencies that hamstring just about all of our decisions, if we let them.)
Anyway, the house, the house! We got to Kansas City, spent the night in a hotel, then drove two days straight through the soggy hills of southern Missouri, looking for everything and stopping for nothing. I was ready to turn around and come home because Joe was the worst kind of silent. I spent lots of time in the passenger seat refreshing my realtor.com homepage on my phone. Siri took us to the middle of nowhere north of Springfield and we parked and got out at a little state park where I called my mom. I'd found a place in Centralia and told her we were just going to drive towards her house, and if she could watch the kids, pretty please?--we'd go look at the place.
Well, that place was cool, but not up Joe's alley. So we spent another day sort of sulking, and when I was about to give up (Sunday evening), I was scrolling on realtor.com and found a farm house near Mom and Dad's little cabin south of Jeff City. I thought there was no way Joe would be interested in looking at it because it's so close to relatives, and plus it's 96 years old, but it was 40 acres, and we didn't have a better plan. I called the realtor and set up an appointment for Monday morning.
Mom met us there and it was just too good to be true. The house was completely renovated in 2004. It still has all the wacky closets in the upstairs and is completely charming, but outfitted with heating and a/c. There's a jetted tub and sweet pocket sliding doors...It's adorable and my kids can't destroy it because it's old.
Remind me I said that in about a month when I am spending 8 hours a week mowing the lawn and fighting ticks and poison ivy. I mean, remind me how I said it was too good to be true.
The night after we checked it out, I spent an hour under the covers looking at old genealogy records of the man that built the place. The farm has been in the family for four or five generations.
I was so hopeful we might buy it. I could see my next blog/book: The Stegners on Honey Creek. And then, the next morning, Joe told me he didn't think it was the right place. So then I was upset. But by noon he had changed his mind. So we made an offer. Which was pretty much accepted. And then again by supper he was pissed off because he was sure he'd lose his job because of the move.
I'm telling you, too much drama for this girl. The thing is, we need a big change. And big changes are painful and hard, especially for us. I can't think of a single life change that wasn't massively stressful. Even having babies was definitely tainted by unmet expectations and a major lack of emotional support. I'm really looking forward to at least having my mom nearby, because she's a helpful friend to both of us when it comes to voicing our frustrations or talking out problems.
I am thinking this will be a really great move for us since we will finally have extended family for our kids. And school, and extracurriculars.
I'm dreaming about a strawberry farm or a bluegrass venue or a barn bakery. Ahh.
I'm trying not to think about potential in-law problems, eek.
No comments:
Post a Comment