Wednesday, June 9, 2021

On To Honey Creek

 My kids are still putting library books on hold, so obviously they aren't convinced we will be moving in under a week.

We're down to the last scrappy days. You know, the ones were you pack and clean and then sit at the table and drink a kombucha while staring blankly at the to-do list. Maybe it was simpler days to load up the old covered wagon with tack and vittles and make the big kids jog alongside. I am such a scattered person. Basically I stand around and get almost nothing done, then I make the kids write and sing songs with me, or I start a new creative project, or pick flowers and paint them. Or mow the yard. I really don't understand how people in life can do two things at once, like watch kids and (fill in the blank). Which explains why I am a stay at home mom, actually. The idea of having a job and being a mom is incomprehensible. There: this is my truth.

My plan is to drive a couple kids and sedated dog (please give us a few good pills, Dr. Bob) to Missouri this weekend with the random household stuff that ought not fit into a moving truck with a sectional couch and lawnmower.
I'm not looking forward to it, driving back and forth, but I think it's the only thing to do.

Joe's new job title will be something along the lines as a "nationwide purchaser" (probably got that very wrong), so we are trying to drum up some good internet out in the country. I'm trying to envision him working from home in the middle of nowhere. Like, getting up and sending kids off to school and then it's just me and him at home? Yeah, I can't even imagine it.

Gretty zooms her "motorcycle" around in the driveway and stops to hug her giant poppies and sunflowers. She has a pretend dog friend she calls Invisibee. She chats and chats with him. And sometimes she informs me her name is not Gretel, but Karen, so we play a game where I'm Ellen and she's Karen and we are introducing ourselves as new friends.
"Oh, hi, Karen! Nice to meet you. Would you like a popsicle?"
"No thanks, Ellen. Gretel likes popsicles, but I'm Karen. Karen is allergic to popsicles."

She's had a terrible cold the last week, so we've put off saying goodbye to friends until now. She's on the fence about kindergarten because she doesn't want to get a shot at the dr's office. Jubal is also due for his eleven year old booster, so I'm trying to squeeze that in before we leave.

I'm so excited to be headed back to school in the fall. Out here in Colorado, the news about vaccine for covid is making me begin to despise the leaders and people in authority. Polis, the governor, has decided he'll dole out several million dollar lotteries (5) and I don't know how many $50k scholarships (for the under 18 vaxxed crowd). I can't believe this is happening in our world. Public schools and teachers are scrounging for funding--hey, lets make kids sell cookie dough and wrapping paper door to door and we'll give them a free junky keychain!--and here is Polis with deep, deep pockets (apparently), taking our tax money and using it as a carrot to get people vaxxed.

It's not cool.

So call it conservative or whatever you want, but I'm glad to be moving to Missouri where hard work is still appreciated and no bull is taken. Go back to work, people! Leaders, quit pretending the money is yours!

Enough of dreaded politics.
Jubal is amazing me with his guitar skills--actually it is more his repertoire of guitar chords up in his head that impresses me. Yesterday we recorded an Alison Krauss song together. I'm trying to record things so we can see how much we improve. My mandolin is improving but still very beginner-ish. I wish I could've started when I was ten. I think the piano lessons were great but I was no piano player. It's like following board game rules: too many do this, don't do thats and not enough free play.

Luke is drawing a million dragons and taping the pictures to his walls. I keep reminding him we're going to have to scrape them off before we leave, but his goal is to fill the whole room.
They've been listening to Hank the Cowdog outside on the porch. When they get tired of it, they turn the sprinkler on under the trampoline and pretend they're cage fighters.
Foy is begging to take piano lessons and practice his cajon. I need to make that a priority once we get settled into Jeff City. He loves drumming along on his cajon when we jam with our instruments, but he needs some direction. 
Foy is currently the underrated brother in our household, a math whiz, sweet as can be, the best eater (and biggest eater), the kindest neighbor, the most helpful (usually). Man, whatever teacher gets him for second grade is going to be lucky (and she'll also have her hands full trying to correct his terrible penmanship). He is pretty sneezy and snotty and allergic to basically everything, so pray for him as we adjust to Missouri.

Also... drum roll. I might regret this, but I started another blog because I'm thinking it would be so fun to record our move to Honey Creek and our forthcoming shenanigans. I need to work on the logo and web design, but I honestly need to pack and clean my house more. Ugh. 
Check it out and tell me I'm crazy: www.onhoneycreek.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment