This is what I awoke to this morning: The smell of rotting bananas. Well to be fair, it wasn't stinky, but I saw it on the counter and thought, I have to do something!
So, rather than my usual bowl of Lucky Charms (whoops, I mean yogurt and granola) I decided to make something decidedly healthy and banana-licious.
Pancakes, of course! Plus, I've always wanted to make pancakes and then take pictures of them in a big stack like Bakerella (oh dear, aren't links fun?) and beyond that, I was putting off digging out some old W-2s from the file cabinet and taking a shower... Pancakes were the perfect escape.
Healthy Banana Pancakes for One or Two
You dig the title, right?
Whatchew Need:
1 banana
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. oil
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
1/2 c. oats (I use quick-cooking)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
Whatchew Do:
The very first thing you must do is put your hair up in a ponytail. Trust me here.
Then, mash up your banana in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle your baking powder on top.
(When I make any baked good with bananas, I always mix the soda or the powder right into the banana. It dissolves and starts to work it's magic right away. Plus, I read that's how you should do it somewhere and ever since then I can't do it any other way.)
Add the oats.
I got this flour as a throw-out from the soup kitchen. That's why the package looks like it's been run through the dirt. (I also got some Kamut flour in a similarly dirty looking package. Thing is, I can't figure out exactly what Kamut is. It feels like semolina--maybe I should make pasta with it??)

Throw in your wheat flour.
Mix it all together, but not too well... You know how pancakes are. After I'd mixed it all together I decided to throw on an extra splash of milk. That whole wheat flour sucks up liquid like no one's business and I didn't want my pancakes to be rock hard (like they were when Mr. and Mrs. Motsy came for a visit--sorry, friends!). So just add milk if you think the batter needs to be thinner.
Throw in your wheat flour.
Then cook 'em up.
All together my batter made enough for me and one half of another person.

(Come on, you don't think I can eat five pancakes that contain one banana, one egg, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup oats?)
If I were a better wife, I might wake up the same time as my hubby and make these for him. But then again, he only gets up with shower and coffee in mind, so it's best I not distract him with breakfast too.
All together my batter made enough for me and one half of another person.
(Come on, you don't think I can eat five pancakes that contain one banana, one egg, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup oats?)
If I were a better wife, I might wake up the same time as my hubby and make these for him. But then again, he only gets up with shower and coffee in mind, so it's best I not distract him with breakfast too.
Oh I believe you. I'm working hard on preserving my frame by only eating 1/2 a chocolate cupcake with mocha frosting. You know. To be ladylike.
ReplyDeleteHilarious! :) Those look amazing. I love whole wheat pancakes.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking pancakes! I'll have to give them a try :) Thank you! P.S. You're hilarious!
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! All for the sake of good health, right? At least we don't eat ding dongs for breakfast... Er, speak for yourself (:
ReplyDeleteThanks for your recipe! I am going to eat them right now!! I didn't have any milk so I used 1/2 and 1/2 that was on the brink of going bad and I didn't have any whole wheat flour so I am used Amaranth flour so I won't blame the recipe if they taste like gunk!!
ReplyDeleteThanks again! I don't have the math skills to reduce recipes so pancakes for 1 and 1/2 of person is perfect!
Thanks for the recipe, these are unbeliveably delicous...may need to buy bananas just to let them go bad so I can make these daily! I found the recipe makes enough for two, if you can share...
ReplyDelete